Leaves Of Three, Let them Be! Poison Ivy/Poison Oak

May 07, 2018

Yep, you guessed it: poison ivy/poison oak.  Technically it’s not poisonous.  However, it is estimated that 85% of people could be highly allergic to this pesky vine.  Simply brushing up against one of these can have irritating results.  Lesions and symptoms consist of red, raised bumps; blisters, swelling, and of course, itching. Exposure can result in sensitization within 1-7 days.

How can you get relief?

Cleanse your skin with mild soap and water to remove these irritating oils.

Apply a topical OTC (Over the Counter) corticosteroid such as hydrocortisone cream (found in most pharmacies.)

Relieve itchiness by using a cool compress, calamine lotion and oral anti-histamines.  

Please contact our Dallas office if your condition worsens, the itching persists, or other symptoms develop.

 

Kassir Dermatology © 2018